Sunday, October 27, 2013

Happy Un-birthday


If I wouldn’t have had the herniated bowel scenario, I would have gotten sprung from the hospital in plenty of time before my birthday.  But it didn’t happen like that and I was still in the hospital, my bowels had still not woken up yet from the trauma of two surgeries.  Once the day before my birthday came around, I knew for sure I was stuck there.  I was going to turn 9 in the hospital, and what’s worse, I couldn’t eat yet, so I couldn’t even have cake.  It was going to be the most un-birthday I could dream of. 

While I was sleeping at night, during the wee hours of my official birthday, one of the nurses who was kind and had pity on my situation decided it would be a lovely gesture to decorate a few things in my room to try to have some kind of celebration, to cheer me up.  I think my mom may have helped a bit, I don’t remember.  A few other nurses joined in to help too.  They took their color coding tape and stuck it around the water container they used to irrigate my NG tube with.  They made some banners and signs that said “Happy Birthday Heather” and hung them around my room.  They used the tape to decorate a few other things near my hospital bed, just to put some color into my room and make it feel a little more lively. 

When I woke up, I was surprised to see they had gone out of their way to make me feel special on my birthday.  It was a small gesture, but it was huge to me.  It lifted me up a little.  My mom had asked me the day before if I minded if she brought a cake in to “celebrate” my birthday and so I could blow out the candles.  I couldn’t eat the cake of course, but she wanted to know if it was ok to bring it for others to eat.  At this point, I didn’t care about much anymore, so I told her to knock herself out.  At some point that day, my parents, my sister, and some of my parent’s friends sang happy birthday to me and I’m pretty sure I blew out the candles.  I don’t remember making a wish.  I probably didn’t believe in wishes anymore.  All I had been doing was making wishes the whole time I was there and none of them came true.

The cake was cut and everyone in the room except me got their piece of cake.  I guess this is one of situations where you can’t have your cake and eat it too.  I would get really familiar with meaning of that figure of speech for years to come.  I made my mom pull the dividing curtain between my space and the space of the other half of the room where another patient would be staying had there been one.  Everyone sat on that side of the room and I heard them eating their cake.  I just watched TV as usual, and more food commercials came on of course.  This was turning out to be a swell birthday.

I don’t know if I got any presents.  I don’t remember.  They either weren’t remarkable, or I didn’t get any.  Who knows.  I guess it doesn’t really matter because I don’t think anything would have made me happy anyway.  This was the lowest point of my life and I really just didn’t even care about anything anymore anyway.  I was wasting away physically and mentally.  At this point, I was down in the 40’s in pounds and I basically had no will to live.  I wasn’t dying, but there were many times I wished I was.

I never thought about this day in my life very much until a few years ago when my daughter Bluma had her colectomy.  I will talk more in detail in later posts about my children’s surgeries and treatment for FAP, but I am thinking very particularly about how it felt for her to have to spend her birthday in the hospital.  Much like me, she was not supposed to be there on her birthday.  She had her colectomy and was only supposed to be in the hospital for about a week, but her small bowel twisted off where it was anastamosed (sewed) to her anus and the surgeon had to take her back into the OR to fix it which made her stay in the hospital two weeks.  She went home and was doing well for a few days until she developed a post-operative bowel obstruction.  She had to be readmitted and wouldn’t you know it, it was only three days before her birthday.  Her bowels had not straightened out by the time her birthday came and she was stuck in the hospital, just like me, and she couldn’t eat either.  We had to cancel her birthday party and Bluma was heartbroken and cried and cried.  It was déjà vu.  It just wasn’t fair. 

I went home for the first time ever during Bluma’s hospitalizations and brought her birthday presents to the hospital.  My thoughtful, amazingly generous, and loving friend Diahndra sprang into action to bring a balloon lady, decorations, and make your own teddy bears to the hospital so that Bluma would feel special on her birthday and have a party with friends to celebrate.  All the nurses that were working that day came into Bluma’s room, gave her a special birthday present, and sang happy birthday to her.  She was really sad, but everyone’s sweet gestures got a few smiles out of her.  I felt so lucky to have so many loving people around Bluma who cared about making her feel special, even if she didn’t feel happy. 
Many things come full circle.  I thought that day back then, my 9th birthday, was the worst day ever in my life.  But now that I’m older, there have been worse days unfortunately, like the day my daughter turned 6 in the hospital and she couldn’t eat cake and was heartbroken to have her party canceled.  It made me realize that I wasn’t the only one suffering that day back in 1984.  My mom and dad were too.  I wasn’t alone in my grief.  I just felt like I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment